Day 3: First Class

I woke up without alarm again, this time at 6:30am. Its great to see how passion can rise you up, motivating you to move and run your marathon with the best of attitudes.

I put on pretty clothes (plain grey shirt, flare black and white shorts, Roxy yellow and grey hoodie, black sandals and accessories), wished Tina a Happy 17th Birthday, and headed to Annenberg for a sugary cereal breakfast. I sited with two random girls that seemed nice enough, but got bored as conversation did not arouse but stumbled awkwardly, and I did not really feel like starting a topic. One of them told me she was taking Introductory Biology, just like me.

After breakfast I headed outside, and as I still had about an hour left until my class started, I used my time to look at the activities to register. I discovered my credit card was not working, and so I could not suscribe to any paid activity. I admit I did freak out. No cellphone first, no money now…

The lecture is taught in Hall C at the Science Center, a big room with at least two hundred chairs ordered in a half circle and like a stairway. I rapidly made my way into the center row, but all the seats near the stage were taken. Although, I found a middle center seat that pleased me enough, and seated along Sabrina, a nice rising senior who had failed Biology in her school. In the row in front of me, I heard a girl say her name, and her tone sounded too familiar to my ears. I stared at her for a while, and was just sure she had to be chilean. After a while the girl turned back and asked me my name, and apparently she had my same name, and was in fact chilean and sharing the same class with me! Such a coincidence.

The professor introduced himself to the class of barely fifty students, and introduced us to what was expected from us, the laboratory rules, the topics we were going to touch and how those were going to be evaluated… a general overview of the course. Fixsen, the professor, has a Phd in Molecular Biology, and has teached the Introductory Biology course for over twenty years. He also participated in a project that won the Novel Prize. It was really frightening how he talked about how complex and time consumign the course was, that if we did not study everyday then we were going to get behind (and that it was impossible to get back once you had got behind), that we had to hopefully read every chapter before the actual lesson (the book has over fifty chapters), that the final test had around fourteen pages, and so on… I watched in horror the perspective of possibly failing the course, but tried to give myself hope.

The lesson was great. We talked about general chemistry and how it was applied to biology. I understood all the terms he used and explained, so it was quite easy. I am looking forward for the challenges the other classes will be to me.

After the class I tried to present myself to the professor, but there were simply too many people and they f¡nally lead us out of the class because the next one was starting. I then headed to lunch with Rebekah, another girl I had met in the biology course. We sitted with other guys and girls from General Chemistry and Biology, but no one showed real interest in me, so I got pretty bored with my salad.

I rushed out of the dining hall to search for a TV, in order to watch Chile’s soccer team play vs Nederlands. I ended up in a random cafe some Starbucks worker in the Science Center had told me about, with some people around me, and the lonely me cheering for my country without words. The play was quite slow and motionless, but Bravo did really great, although Nederlands ended up striking two goals. We now pass the first base, but we have to deal with playing vs Brazil.

I ran to Au Bon Pain and bought a pretty red velvet cupcake for Tina, and rushed back to my room to join with Paige, whom I had decided to meet in the afternoon. We went out together and headed to The Coop to buy our textbooks for the corresponding classes. Mine was totally sold out, and I had to make a reservation and pay almost $300 dollars in cash for it. I felt so desperated, lost and alone.

Paige left and I went to Urban Outfitters that is right beyond to calm myself down. I found a cute and really useful sheer white lace brallete, and a plain jean dress I had been wanting. Without thinking twice I bought both, so there is about $100 dollars less into my account.

Then I came back to my room and spent all my afternoon organizing and checking for activities, as fortunately my mom called me via Skype and we could talk about the problems I had conserning my stuff. She finally gave me her credit card information and so I could sign up for activities!

I went to eat dinner alone (finally) and then went again to UO to buy Tina a present. I bought her a light blue nail polish that thought was perfect for her style.

Already at night Tina, Ana and the other nice guy arrived with chinese food, and I gave Tina her present. We laughed and had a great time, and ate “chinese fish” with too much sweet salsa that tasted like oily rancic chicken, greasy spring rolls, and yummy wontons. I ate too much for having already eaten dinner, and really too unhealthy.

I want to go running tomorrow! Hope I can wake up fine. It is too late to finish my course study, so I will make that tomorrow for serious.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s